I want to see posts about...

Tuesday 26 April 2016

Kitchen freshen up

Whilst I wouldn't say that my kitchen is the 'heart of the home' it's definitely a really important space to me - as someone who loves to cook and bake.

BEFORE!
When viewing the house I was impressed with its size and at the time I loved how it was separate to the lounge / dining room, as it meant when I was hosting dinner or had friends over I could just shut the door to keep the mess out. In my flat the kitchen was part of the living space, so it was a luxury to me to be able to literally 'shut it off' and be able to leave the washing up until after guests had gone.



It's got a decent amount of cupboard space and was a couple of years old when I moved in, so nothing major was required to freshen up this space and make it my own. Whilst I absolutely detest beech as a wood, I have decided to live with it as it just seems like such a waste to get rid of it when it's perfectly functional and in fantastic condition. It just needed a good old scrub and a bit of personality.



I had some paint left over from the kitchen in my flat, so after exhausting the kitchen tester pots I actually decided to just go with that! Luckily I had just about enough to complete the two coats needed. I do love it and whilst it's not drastically different to how it was when I moved in, it's made the room feel much warmer and the floor has made a huge difference.



I had a small radiator added to the room as it didn't have any central heating and was a little chilly during the winter months. It's made a huge difference, so I'd recommend it if you have similar problems.



I will eventually upgrade everything to cream appliances, but I just cannot find a kettle and toaster that I like! I thought I was settled on this Smeg set, but after seeing it in real life I am torn as it was a little too yellow-y, any recommendations are gratefully received!

My Grandad cut a hole for the fridge (this is in to the chimney breast)

Total cost for this room £624.70
Ceiling skimmed over the awful artex - £180
Flooring - £200
Ceiling paint - £10.95 from Wilko
Wood paint (doors, skirting boards) - £13.75 from Wilko (this 2.5ltr tin will last me for 2 - 3 rooms plus an upcycle project too. And it's quick dry but water based, so super easy to clean your brushes!)
Wall Paint - £0 - used up left overs from the flat!
New appliances - £180 budget
Radiator - £40 






No comments:

Post a Comment