I want to see posts about...

Thursday 14 April 2016

A little dinner party favourite

I LOVE hosting. Barbeques, dinner parties, Sunday lunches, Christmas, you name it, I love it!



I wouldn't say that I'm a natural host and I often get quite stressed before hosting, so this recipe is F A B, you just throw it all in the slow cooker and can focus on the other elements of hosting without being tied to the kitchen.

I recently hosted a girls night and this was our menu; simple, delicious, wholesome food.

To start;
Mixed olives
Tortilla chips with home-made pico-de-gallo (I'll share that super simple recipe another time!)

The main event;
Pulled papriiiiika (said with a tongue twirl) chicken served with shaved broccoli and home made skin on fries

For the sweet tooth;
Home made 'hat on' chocolate cupcakes.
Tea-light toasted marshmallows

I took inspiration from a cuban chicken dish along with general paprika chicken and combined them to make a delicious alternative to pulled pork. It's the simplest slow cooker recipe yet and absolutely no baddies!

You'll need (for 4):
- 1 can of peeled plum tomatoes (I actually used two this time, but it was too juicy)
- 3 tablespoons of paprika
- 2 tablespoons of cumin
- 3 cloves of garlic (pressed if you have one, bit finely chopped will do)
- 1 large or 2 small onions (I always use red, personal preference)
- 1 pepper
- 4 chicken breasts (use 1 per person)
- 2 tablespoons of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes

What to do:

First get your slow cooker out ready. Open the tin of peeled plum tomatoes and add just the tomatoes, not the juice or it'll end up too runny.



Chop your pepper and onions, don't worry about being neat, they will blend right in to the chicken. Add these to the tomatoes in the slow cooker.



Add the garlic, paprika, cumin and mixed herbs. Give it a little stir so that everything mixes nicely. Pop the chilli flakes in.





Pop your chicken on the top. Pop the slow cooker on to the high setting for around 5 - 6 hours.



At around 4 hours I give it a little stir so that the chicken mixes in with the sauce.

If you find after the 6 hours that it's still quite runny, leave the lid off of the slow cooker for half an hour or so to get rid of some of the liquid.

Use two forks to gently tease the chicken apart. It'll fall to pieces and you'll be left with delicious shredded chicken.

I did serve the girls more than this - but we ate it all without
taking a picture of the spread - whoops!!


If you're a fan of the spicy kick, add a little Tabasco or hot sauce, YUM.

We had this with chips and shaved broccoli, but it'd be equally delicious with rice or in a nice floury sub-roll. I always tend to have enough left over for lunch too.

I LOVE this one as it basically just does everything itself, you don't even need to brown the chicken.

Let me know what you think if you give it a go.

Ems xx















No comments:

Post a Comment