I want to see posts about...

Friday 5 February 2016

A little bit of cooking!

If you read my previous food blog, then you'll know that I love cooking, but loathe spending hours in the kitchen waiting for food!


My lovely friend Abbey bought me the Millie Mackintosh book for Christmas (slightly obsessed with how perfect she is!) and Millie has some fabulous, clean, healthy recipes in there. She also uses Olive Oil, which I LOVE. Uncle Bob has an olive grove in Italy and we're lucky enough to receive a lovely tin of fresh homemade olive oil every year. I can 100% say that it's worth spending money on the good stuff, don't skimp on this one, the taste from true, pure olive oil is amazing. Mmmm.

Anyway, I wanted to share a slightly tweaked recipe from Millie's book with you; I'll call them Millie's Meatballs.

For Millie's Meatballs you'll need:

- Ginger (ideally fresh, but I cheated and used some of that keep in the fridge, always ready ginger puree)
- 2 spring onions (roughly chopped)
- 2 chicken boobs, skinless, boneless. Just boob. Chopped in to pieces, not too big, not too small. (I have always got a pack of these in the freezer - most supermarkets now do the 'cook from frozen' ones, I've found the Aldi one's to be the best at keeping their size and not being pumped full of water. Just pop them in the microwave on defrost until they're nice and squidgy and cook straight away).
- a red chilli, or if you don't have one, some keep in the cupboard chilli flakes.
- a squidge of lime juice. Again, fresh would be ace, but otherwise get some of the keep in the cupboard lime juice in a bottle!
- a drizzle of soy sauce (I used around 1.5 teaspoons)
- some freshly cracked black pepper.

How to make Millie's Meatballs:

Pre-heat the oven, Fan 180, Conventional 200. Put a roasting tin in the oven with around 2 tablespoons of oil (Olive will do, but it has a low burning point, so best to use something like coconut oil if you can). Leave this to warm up whilst you do the other bits and pieces. 

Using a food processor, blend your chilli, ginger, lime, soy sauce. Then add the chicken and pulse it a couple of times. You want it to be roughly chopped, if you pulse it too much it'll be too squishy, so I'd say pulse for a second or two, two or three times, so it looks like this:

(IMAGE)

Mould the chicken in to little 'meatball' sized lumps. You should be able to make 15 - 20 of them from the mix above. Carefully take the hot oil out of the oven and add your meatballs (carefully, it may spit).

(IMAGE)

Pop them in the oven and leave to cook for around 6 minutes. After 6 minutes give the tray a little shake and ensure that the meatballs are turned so that they're evenly browned. Leave them to cook for another 6 minutes. Once they're cooked, (check by cutting one open and checking it all nice and white in side and hot right through), take out of the oven and serve with a nice crunchy salad.

If you're not feeling a salad, try with some noodles and steamed veg. Or a salsa (Millie has a recipe for a nice mango and chilli one in her book!) with some little Gem lettuce leaves.

I've done a quick calculation and I have worked out that this meal cost £2.80 for two people - bargain, delicious and filling!

Let me know if you give this a go, this is definitely going in my 'quick favourites'.

Em xx




No comments:

Post a Comment