I want to see posts about...

Thursday 5 November 2015

Winter Survival...

Ugh, Winter.


Unlike most of the world, I am really NOT a Winter person. I love October, as the weather starts to change and you can start really layering clothes and wearing all of the chunky knitwear and jackets that just aren't suitable for Summer. After October, that's it. My love has gone.

Maybe I have that S.A.D, or maybe I'm just not designed for this country, but whatever the reason, I am already wishing my Winter away and lusting after some Spring sunshine and leaves on trees!

I'm lucky this year that I have a really exciting year to look ahead to, which will definitely carry me through! I am due to start my new job next week, which is a really exciting time in a brand new role that I just cannot wait to get stuck in to and really make my mark. Then 2016 holds lots of exciting times, with a week in Madeira in January to warm my bones, the Mothership's wedding in April, our AMAZING Safari trip in May, my friends wedding in June, babies and my sisters wedding in October, there's definitely plenty to look forward to! 

For anyone else that struggles with these cold dark days, here are my 'Winter Survival Tips':



- Book a holiday! If you can afford it, there are some destinations that can offer you a bit of a break from the cold blustery Winter days. We go to Madeira (a Portuguese island) and highly recommend it for a relaxing break - there's no bars or clubs and we're often the youngest on the island, but it suits us perfectly and the spas are amazing! Being able to wear shorts and a T-shirt in Winter is an amazing feeling and definitely lifts me! We go in January, to beat that post-Christmas lul.

- Embrace the cold and dress for it. It sounds silly, but treat yourself to some new knitwear that you love, you'll soon find dressing for Winter so much easier and you'll be looking forward to wrapping that chunky scarf around your neck and popping the bobble hat on. I always allow myself a little Winter budget to treat myself to some nice new things.

- Candles. I love candles all year, but as soon as I get in from work in the Winter they're lit and burning away all evening. Nearly all of my candles are scented so they have the added bonus of keeping the stinky dog smell away, but the glow they give off really does warm you inside and make Winter feel no wear near as bad.

- Hearty food. A salad just aint going to cut it! Embrace some hearty food. Use the slow cooker. Have some beef. Enjoy that sausage and mash. Of course, live a balanced lifestyle and don't overindulge, but eat what you fancy and eat meals that will really warm you from the inside out.

- Make the most of those beautiful days. If it's dry / sunny on a Saturday, get outside! Go for a bike ride. Go to the beach for a walk. Drive to a local National Trust place. Get some of that vitamin D on your face, it's amazing how much it lifts my mood - especially when you only have two days a week to enjoy any natural daylight from October to February! Make those two days count.

- Lighting. Lighting can really make a difference to your mood. I try to keep my evening lighting 'cosy', using lamps around the room, or fairy lights, rather than the main ceiling lights. During the day, I will use ceiling lights to brighten a dim room, to make it feel like 'day'. If you suffer really badly, you can invest in a special lamp that fakes natural daylight.

What're your top tips for keeping the Winter blues at bay? Or is it just me that experiences this lust for the warmer months?!

Em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment