I want to see posts about...

Saturday 12 September 2015

Finishing the Pallet Sofa

Hopefully you've seen my original blog post on the Pallet Sofa. If not, check it out before reading this one!

After the fabric had arrived, I had to work out what I was going to do with it. Please bear in mind that I've only used my sewing machine a handful of times. None of those were successful.

I invited the wonderful Mothership round to help me decide how to actually make the covers. The Mothership is quite handy on a sewing machine and has previously covered garden furniture. We disagreed for a long time, with me saying "this is far too complicated" over and over. We eventually agreed that my initial simple idea would work.

Each of my foam segments were different sizes, so I set about making the individual covers to match.

To start, I placed the material on the floor, as flat and crease free as possible. Make sure you are doing this with the WRONG side up (the side that you want inside the cover). Then I placed the piece of foam on the material and rolled it. I wanted a flap a few inches deep, that would sit (sort of) like a pillow case. And enough fabric on top to turn over twice, good side out, to be the seam where I could get the cushion cover off in the future.

I've turned the material - RIGHT - side out, this will be where I attach the Velcro to keep the cover together nicely.

I then pinned the fabric down each side. Pulling as tight as possible. If you're using the same fabric as me, don't worry about it being too tight, it's nice and slippery so you'll get the foam in easy!

Pin down each side - tightly
After pinning the sides and folding over the edge for the top seam, it's time to take the foam out and hit the machine. 


I stitched the top seam first, then did the two edges. 



Pull the corner out, and then pin along the line of the foam
- pull nice and tight in to the foam to get a nice boxed edge.
Once it was stitched, I put it back on the foam so that I could do the corners. I pinned the corners tight, in a straight line, to created the boxed effect.

Stitched corner
Once the corners are done, it's time to turn it the right way around and put the foam in. I then tucked the flap in to the cover, lined the seam with sticky back Velcro and hey presto, it's done!

Here's a picture of the painted, trimmed to size, bespoke corner Pallet Sofa on my terrace.


All it needs now is some scatter cushions! :)

Now, roll on some late Summer sunshine so that I can sit there sipping some G&Ts watching Netflix!

Em xx



No comments:

Post a Comment