I want to see posts about...

Friday 18 September 2015

A little crafty Garden Decor

I love having a garden. I have lusted after gardens for a long time, and after three blissful years in my flat, the want of a garden finally overcame me.

When I moved to the house the garden was mature. Established. aka, Overgrown. I had tall hedges on one side that blocked out a lot of sun, a small patch of bad grass and a whole load of mangled bushes on the other side.

The house is built in to a hill, so the garden slopes up. This means that the Conservatory is considerably lower than the top of the garden. A few years before me, the owner had done some landscaping. I'll talk more about the layout in a later post, but currently my favourite part is my 'terrace', right at the top of the garden.

The Terrace offers nice views (ish) and as it's set higher, it is a real sun trap and surprisingly sheltered from the wind. I covered it with artificial grass when choosing a patio became too stressful. This is definitely my entertaining area, and the area where my pallet sofa, table and chairs and BBQ live. When entertaining I have lots of solar powered lights to add atmosphere, but I wanted some cute jars to hold citronella candles to keep the bugs away on warm summers evenings.

The vision I had for the pallet sofa was to be able to snuggle up out there on a warm evening with a movie on the laptop, blankets and candles. I found a gorgeous idea on Instagram from @beckie1402. Very simple jars with cute tealights.

I saved my jars for a few weeks and had kind donations from friends. To make them I soaked some plain white string (which I already had, although you can buy hessian style string very cheaply) to make it a darker colour. I then wrapped one bit of string around the neck of the jar.

Leaving it loose, I added two more bits of string to each side, so that they could be knotted at the top.

I then tightened the string around the neck, and knotted the string at the top.

Ta-Dah!




A few simple nails in the fence and they're ready to go - cue cute evenings in the garden! I'm very much hoping for some balmy September evenings so I can really enjoy this space now that it's done.

The finished tealight holders :)
Em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment