I want to see posts about...

Sunday 27 September 2015

A little tour....

I absolutely love seeing the room tours that Charlotte does on her blog, The Home That Made Me. So, I thought I'd do one of my own! I always love having a nose at other peoples houses, so hopefully you'll enjoy having a nose at mine!

My biggest accomplishment in the house so far is the bathroom. I am SO lucky that I have a wonderful Grandad. A builder by trade, now retired and devoting his life to ensuring that his 5 grandchildren are safe and sound in their homes. My Grandad really is a legend and has had many a call from the family over the years when we've had house disasters... like the time Mum put a nail through the waterpipe fixing a squeaky floorboard, or the time I was locked out of my own house, with the key stuck in the lock!!

Although the bathroom was perfectly functional, and even fairly new, it just wasn't me. I'd owned my flat since the day it was built, so moving in to a 'second hand' home was a challenge for me!

Fairly soon after moving, we were already discussing the bathroom and my desire to completely gut it. Grandad had already made my downstairs loo look amazing, so it was time to really put him to the test with the bathroom.

In the original bathroom, the previous owner had installed a P shaped bath, as great as this was for bathing, it meant that the bathroom door didn't open fully. That was a real bugbear of mine, so the key was to find a solution (a normal sized bath). As well as a normal sized bath, I so wanted a standalone shower.

Before: the P Shaped bath, WALLPAPER and complete lack of storage.
Grandad made me a little to-scale plan on graph paper and we set about cutting out mini everything to size it up. We eventually found a solution, a shorter-than-usual bath, which meant that the door would open fully (yey) and I could have my desired stand alone shower (double yey!).


I wanted to keep a little seaside theme, as I like to collect little bits and pieces on each holiday. The Grey was a perfect match to my want for a 'stormy sky' colour. On a bright day it shines and lights up the room and on a dull day it makes you feel cosy, like you just want to snuggle up and watch the storm from the window. I find it the most relaxing colour - love it!



<pic of nik naks>
Little bits picked up from my travels - small boat from Skiathos, big boat from St Ives, beach hut also from another trip to Cornwall.



I am so pleased with the finished result. I love love love walking in to the bathroom, I feel so proud that my vision came to life and so very grateful to my wonderful Grandad for moving plumbing, unblocking drains and doing such a wonderful job of fitting everything. <3

I did all of the painting myself - I love finishing a room off!

I'm not normally a fan of 'open doors', but this is a view I love so much.

Stock:
Bath - from The Bath Store.com
Shower thermostat bar & shower cubicle - Screwfix
Stone Resin shower tray (much sturdier than plastic) - Stax tradecentres
Mirror - The Range (a long time ago)
Beach prints - The Range (a long time ago)
Rope light pull - Next
Bin - Wilko
Toilet & built in storage - Stax tradecentres
Tiles - white metro tiles, available in most DIY stores.

Em x

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a wonderfully written blog Emma! I really enjoyed this. Now can I borrow your Grndad? X

Post a Comment