I want to see posts about...

Monday 11 July 2016

A little dinner delight

If you hadn't guessed already, I LOVE food. I especially love food inspired or influenced from holidays or travels and meals like this one definitely give me the fuzzy feels inside.

We've been to Madeira (a Portuguese island) {see holiday post here} a few times and one of my favourite things about holidaying there is the meat. They have these fantastic Esperadas which is a traditional local dish and definitely one of my favourites. So, I thought I'd try to create something similar at home.



For the Madeiran inspired beef dish, you will need:
- Steaks (for how ever many people you're cooking for). Go for a nice fillet or sirloin, I think rump would be too tough for this dish.
- Red wine
- Good quality olive oil
- a medium sized red onion, chopped finely
- garlic, as much as you like to taste. I used 3 cloves for two people, keep the vampires away!
- a bayleaf or two

I served mine with some herb roasties and green veg - but I think some delicious home made chips would go wonderfully.

Start off by chopping up your onion, you want it finely diced. Pop it in to a large bowl. Add a generous glug of olive oil and a splash of red wine. You want just enough juice to be able to toss the meat in - so not a huge amount.





Add your garlic in. Give it a good stir so that everything mixes nicely.



Then chop your steak in to nice chunks, between an inch and two inches is ideal, ideally you want to cook it medium, so those nice sized chunks are perfect for keeping a pink middle.



Add the steak and bayleaves in to the bowl and give it a really good stir, You want to make sure that the steak has been nicely covered by the marinade. Then pop it in the fridge for at least 10 minutes, ideally longer if you have the time.

Heat a pan (no oil) so that it's lovely and hot and then carefully add your meat. You just want to sear the outside of the beef, so this will take no more than a minute and make sure to give the pan a shake every now and then. Once the outside is seared, turn the heat down a little and add the rest of the marinade. Cook for around 8 - 10 minutes for medium, or shorter / longer as you like your steak. Towards the end, take the steak out and let it rest for a minute or two, turn the heat back up in the pan and reduce the marinade down so that it becomes more sticky. Once you've dished up, you can pop the marinade on to the steak before serving.



Whilst it's not an esperada (which is cooked on a large kebab stick), it gave me all the feels of Madeira and tastes aaaaaamazing!

I can't take the credit for this one, as it was the brain child of my housemate Katy, but it's definitely going in to my 'go-to' recipe pile and is perfect for a dinner in less than 30 mins.

YUM.

Let me know if you try it!

Ems xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment