I want to see posts about...

Friday 15 January 2016

A little bit of AMAZING in my mouth!

I discovered this blog by Millie, that is a recipe she features in her book. I adapted it a little to my taste, and wanted to share this chunk of AWESOMENESS with you!


Pulled beef.

You'll need;
A joint of beef. Leg of beef, or similar joint that is nice and lean. Try to trim all of the visible fat off.
A can of tinned tomatoes
Paprika
Onions (I used red as I prefer their taste)
160 ml of red wine
2 or 3 cloves of garlic
Mixed herbs
Chilli or Chilli flakes (a cupboard staple, I've always got some of these lurking!)
Tomato puree
Water - 80mls

I used the slow cooker for this one, the prep took around 15 minutes, then I threw it all in together and left it on high for around 5 hours, then switched to low. If you're planning on doing this throughout the day then I'd say for for around 7 or 8 hours would give you the best melt-in-your-mouth beef.

How:

Chop the onions, add to the pan (I don't use any oil when frying onions, as I have a non stick pan and just keep it moving). Leave them for a few minutes on low, wait for them to get a little soft. Add the cloves of garlic (In this house we LOVE garlic, so I went for 3 cloves!), I use a garlic press, but you could also finely chop it.



Give it a few minutes for the garlic to mix with the onions.

Whilst that's going on, cut all visible fat off of the beef joint and cut it in to smaller pieces. I cut my joint in to three. Add it to the pan so you can brown the edges and seal the flavour in.

Add the red wine, chopped tomatoes and mix the puree with the water. Swish around the pan making sure you get everything off of the sides, all that lovely beef juice!



Give it one or two minutes and add it to the slow cooker. At this point I added 1 tablespoon of chilli flakes, a tablespoon of paprika (we LOVE paprika and I felt the flavour didn't really come through, so next time I'll add even more!)



Leave it to cook away for a good few hours, then when it's ready, gently tease at the beef with two forks, so you shred the beef (kind of like pulled pork).

Serve with whatever you fancy, a nice bed of kale, cauliflower rice, normal rice, potato wedges, it would literally go with anything. I then drained the leftovers off and popped it in to some Tupperware in the fridge, the next day we had it warm with some beautiful crusty rolls and salad, YUM.


Let me know if you try it!
Ems xx 



No comments:

Post a Comment