I want to see posts about...

Wednesday 14 October 2015

Living Room / Dining Room Tour

If you've been reading this blog from the beginning, then you're probably getting the gist that I'm quite house proud!

My Mum is a fantastic home maker and I was very lucky growing up that she created some lovely spaces for us. Mum has always said that you can make any house a home, and I believe that too.

My flat was new-build, so didn't need anything doing to it at all. Decorating was easy, I didn't even bother doing the ceilings or skirting boards as they were perfect already, just covered up the magnolia with paints of my choice!

When I moved in to this house, the lounge looked like this:





My Mum loved it! She's a big fan of red, but I absolutely detest the colour. I don't know why, but it's the one colour I simply cannot stand. So, as soon as I got the keys, I knew this room had to change, and fast!

I picked up the keys on Halloween 2013, and wanted to get the lounge and conservatory in to my style by Christmas. I don't like to rush things as I am very fickle and change my mind a lot, so mood boards and a lot of thinking are my friends when decorating. I had a lot of purple accessories from the flat and wanted to keep that theme (purple being my favourite colour!) I love grey and purple together, so the colour decision was fairly easy.

After a weekend of removing the wallpaper on the chimney breast and lots of prep work (it's all about the prep!) on the rest of the walls, we were ready to get cracking. My Mum and Grandad have taught me well, it really is all about the prep and I never rush that part. Take time to fill in the cracks and holes in any walls. Fill in the old holes for curtain poles etc so that you have a whole fresh room - I don't know why, but I find it so much more satisfying knowing it's all been done properly.

I'm very lucky that I have a beautiful full length window in the lounge, so it's a fairly bright room. The dining room feels darker as the conservatory is on the back of the house, so it being open plan works really well, allowing the light to travel.

When I moved in there was no door between the dining room and kitchen, which luckily Grandad was able to sort, it made the room feel much warmer and cosier once this was done.

Although I love the colour on the walls, this room still isn't finished. I didn't want to replace the carpet when I moved in (due to a 10 week old pupster who did not like the rain or going outside to toilet!), so that's now high on the list, and when I do that I'll repaint all of the skirting boards to make it feel all fresh again.

Love this sofa - Next

My cuddle chair - also Next

Hard to get a nice picture of these, fairy lights in a tube - Ikea
Sideboard - Next, table solid oak, chairs - Homebase Heart of House range


Behind is the Conservatory

Tripod lamp - Homebase

Painted Ottoman box - this is perfect for storing my blankets!

Forever rearranging...!
Obsessed with this LOVE light, Primark Home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another wonderful blog Emma, I really get a sense of how proud you are if your home. I especially love the cushions on your sofa......xx

Post a Comment