I want to see posts about...

Friday 28 August 2015

My first furniture upcycle

I always see such gorgeous photos of everyone's upcycled furniture. I try to recycle and reuse where I can, and consider myself quite 'green', so this totally seemed like an idea for me!

Having only ever painted a rocking chair and a mirror, I wanted to give a real piece of furniture a try.

Since decorating my bedroom, I had been on the look out for a gorgeous dressing table to finally finish the room. I had the perfect space for it, right infront of the window, where the drawers are:


I looked in all the usual furniture places, but they were either too expensive or not quite right. After scouring gumtree and ebay for many weeks, I stumbled upon this ikea beauty:


I love the shape of the legs, the little dainty but practical drawers and the fact that it was a good size, but not as big as some of the Stag ones I'd been looking at. I collected it and set about working.

I was so excited to be using chalk paint for the first time. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me and I had the most awful experience. Has anyone else had the same!? I find all these amazing blogs about chalk paint and so many people on Pintrest and Instagram use it, but I just couldn't get on with it. Next time i'm going to try the Rustoleum brand and see if that makes a difference...

Here's a pic after 4 coats of chalk paint. It wasn't working.



After deciding to scrap the lot, I got my trusty electric detail sander out and found that it literally peeled off. I scraped it right back, sanded it lightly and cleaned the whole thing. I then picked my brains on what to do.

I decided that I'd go ahead and paint the dressing table with normal satin wood paint.

Three coats later and the whole thing was finished, with the most beautiful look. I couldn't work out if I needed to wax the top or not, so I decided against it. Anyone able to offer advice on this?

I then purhased a cheap stool from ikea, painted that white too, and added a cushion that used to live in my rocking chair for a bit of comfort. Ta-dah, finished!

Complete with posing dog!

Love, Em x



No comments:

Post a Comment